Monday, December 19, 2016

Back "Home"

Monday greetings on this frigid day here in the Midwest.

Well, well, well. I am back at my desk here at the office. The last time I was here was Election Day.

As you know, I was impaneled on a jury for a federal trial here in Chicago that lasted just shy of five weeks. I am so glad that this experience is behind me. My peers elected me foreman of the jury and I was proud to serve my country in this manner. If you are interested, here is a news story about the trial.

Twelve jurors were chosen from among a pool of about 80. I can't really describe what it was like to essentially have my regular life halted for five weeks. I missed the staff here at WLP so much the entire time. I missed the opportunities to celebrate Advent and prepare for Christmas in the usual ways. And I missed too many hours of sleep, haunted by the characters, some of them serial killers, who took the witness stand during the trial. Before this trial, I knew nothing about gangs; I knew nothing about the way the Chicago Police Department kept their files; I had no clue about the ways that poor people can get sucked into drugs and violence; I knew nothing about what it must be like to sit on death row, waiting to be executed.

I gained a tremendous amount of respect and appreciation for those eleven others whose lives were upended during the trial, especially the mothers of young children.

The last five weeks opened my eyes in many ways and for that I am grateful.

Lots of things to do here at the office. Just wanted to let you know that I am "back in the saddle."

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back; must be a relief. What a responsibility, but necessary to our system of justice. Thanks!
Tom Strickland

Anonymous said...

And you were missed both in the office and on gottasinggottapray!!