Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Off the Blog for a Bit to Focus

Hello everyone.

The day after the election, I was in El Paso, Texas, and my host from the Diocese drove me along "the wall." I heard stories from pastors about children cowering beneath their desks at school that day, suffering panic attacks in grammar school, wondering if their parents would be deported. Such an "in your face" experience that most Americans will never see or taste so close up.

I returned to Chicago late Friday, and Saturday three of us from WLP reached out to our Afghan refugee family. We took them shopping at a "Super Target." You cannot imagine the looks on their faces when they beheld what you and I see every time we enter a department/grocery store here in the United States. We were insuring that they were outfitted with clothes and outerwear to help them through our harsh Chicago winter.

After the shopping experience, I sat in a Walgreen's parking lot and spoke to some of my family members about what our experience was like. And, to be honest with you, I wept. I wept for this family who, even though they had run out of food stamps with an inability to buy meat in the last twelve days, fed us with a beautiful hospitable lunch with chicken and rice. My heart was aching for them and I ached for a future of what may become a walled country here in too many ways. I choose to focus my life on being Christ for others. Simple.

Life changed for me pretty drastically yesterday, which means I will be out of the blogging world for a while. Summoned to federal jury duty, I was chosen for a jury yesterday. The trial will last at least four weeks. So I have decided to focus my attention on this important civic duty and not post here. I hope you understand.

In the meantime, gotta sing. Gotta pray.

1 comment:

Fr. Gene Vavrick said...

Praying for you in these uncertain days.