Friday, November 4, 2016

Nostalgic On this Feast Day

Friday greetings. Today is one of those rare and wonderful bright and sunny Autumn days here in the Midwest.

Today is the feast day of Saint Charles Borromeo, the patron of my home parish in Woburn, Massachusetts. Feeling a bit nostalgic today.

It was two years ago today on this feast that I was privileged to be in Rome, traveling with my parents. My friend, Monsignor Larry Spiteri, arranged to celebrate Mass in honor of my parents' 60th wedding anniversary. This was one of those moments that makes for a lasting memory. Here we are at the altar of Saint Thomas in Saint Peter's Basilica, where we celebrated Mass early that morning.


When we arrived at Saint Peter's that morning, my parents had no idea that we would then be taken on a private tour of the basilica and the Vatican Museum. They were in a state of awe inside Saint Peter's; there were very few other people inside at the time. This is one of my favorite photos, taken in front of the main altar; definitely a "deer in the headlights" moment!


I am grateful to have been "schooled" in so many ways by these two characters, "schooled" at Saint Charles in Woburn, and "schooled" by the opportunities that travel has afforded me. 

I hope that your weekend is one that is filled with grace and peace.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: