Sunday, November 27, 2016

Checking in After Two Weeks in Court

Sunday evening greetings from my home here in Chicago's West Loop.

Just thought I would check in. Tomorrow, we enter week three of this federal trial on which I am a juror. Possibly two more full weeks ahead for this trial. I feel like I am living in a parallel world. I check work emails, keep up with what is going on there, weigh in when necessary, and offer my opinions on key issues.

I must say that I do miss those with whom I work very much. For just a few weeks over seventeen years, WLP and J.S. Paluch have been my work "home." I miss my "peeps!"

Obviously, I cannot comment on the trial. Life outside of the trial is about as normal as I can make it. Thanksgiving with friends here in Chicago was a delight. Early morning Advent I Mass this morning at Old Saint Pat's was simple and offered me some time to get re-focused on what really matters.

The greatest positive about the past several weeks is that we have been asked by the judge not to look at any news channels, read any newspapers, nor look at any on-line news outlets. So, in this post-election period, I have neither seen nor read anything from the news. Frankly, that's given me a sense of freedom and detachment.

So, that's what is happening. I am totally focused on the trial every day; I feel proud to be a US citizen called to this kind of responsibility.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: