Monday, July 11, 2016

NPM Convention Begins in Houston

Monday greetings from the NPM (National Association of Pastoral Musicians) national convention here in sweltering Houston, Texas.

Ah . . . for me, life on the road for a week begins with several hours of therapeutic ironing. Here is the result:


This morning we began the task of constructing our display materials and setting up our resources for the musicians, clergy, and liturgists gathered here this week. Here are the before and after photos:




Got a chuckle when the "Vice President and Chief Publishing Officer" banner was hoisted: "Lift High the Veep!"


After a delicious lunch with some of my exhausted, hardworking, and delightful WLP colleagues . . .


. . . I attended the opening event of the convention, which was a wonderful celebration of the diverse cultures of this area of our country.


I have been coming to these conventions, either as a pastoral musician or as a representative of WLP, since the late 1970's. It filled my heart with joy to be among so many colleagues and friends in this ministry as folks from all over the United States, Canada, Great Britain, and Australia were warmly welcomed.

Tonight I am leading an "Industry Lab Session" where I will be talking about the wonderful RCIA resources that we publish at WLP. We have exhibit time tonight from 9:30 P.M. until Midnight.

As the week unfolds, I will be leading four workshops, playing two fifteen-minute piano sessions showcasing the compositions of Ed Eicker, assisting with another lab session focused on WLP's One In Faith hardbound hymnal, and lending my voice to the choir for the WLP choral music showcase.

It promises to be an exciting week filled with work, prayer, and music-making.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: