Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Louisville: Conversion and a Magnificent Baptism Font at Saint Agnes

Tuesday greetings from the warm Midwest.

I am still in a state of shock and grief over the events that occurred in Orlando. As you may know, I lived in Orlando for seven years before moving to Chicago. My heart goes out to the LGBT community there and all who are suffering.

On Saturday, I spent the day in Louisville, Kentucky, presenting a day of reflection for RCIA ministers: "Conversion: Theirs and Ours." I think the day worked quite well. The entire morning was spent helping those gathered focus on the movements of evangelization and conversion in their own lives. I so appreciated how these good folks entered into the process that I had prepared. Watching them engage in a "companion walk" throughout the property of Saint Agnes Parish was heartwarming, not to mention the fact that it was 91 degrees!

I was able to sneak over to Saint Agnes Church during one of the breaks; I was told that it had a magnificent baptism font and, well, you know me . . .

I was not disappointed. Here is the exterior of the church.


The font is located just as one enters the church from the foyer. Notice the small labyrinth embedded in the terrazzo floor.


Here are a few more photos I took.



Just to the left of the center door you can see a piece of art depicting the baptism of Jesus by John in the Jordan. To the right of that same door is a description of the font itself:


It tells the reader that the sides of the font were created using the old communion rail. There is a place for the baptism of infants and, obviously, a large pool for the baptism of children and adults.

The holy oils are stored in the base of the font, below the area where infants are baptized.


The water bubbles up from the smaller section for infants and pours into the pool. The sound in that empty church was so calming.

In the foyer, I found this, a very nice series of photos of those who were either baptized or received into Full Communion at the Easter Vigil of 2016.


Obviously lots of good things going on at this parish, which is in the care of the Passionists.

I really loved being in Louisville once again, and seeing this font was the icing on the cake for me.

Feeling love for and gratitude to all the dedicated RCIA ministers and Archdiocesan leaders in the Archdiocese of Louisville.

At 11:30 this morning, we at the J.S. Paluch Company and World Library Publications will be joining together for a "Prayer for Orlando." Please join your hearts to ours.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: