Friday, June 10, 2016

Headed to Louisville to Finish Up a Whirlwind Week

Friday greetings.

It has been a whirlwind week for me. On Tuesday, I flew to Los Angeles for meetings with some Archdiocesan personnel, flew back here on Wednesday. Yesterday, it was a trip back to O'Hare to pick up Steve and Michele Warner, who were returning to the United States following the tour of the Notre Dame Folk Choir through Ireland and Scotland. Loved hearing their fascinating stories.

Today, we have OSHA training here at the offices. Because we are a production plant here in Franklin Park (parish bulletins, AIM Magazine, Pastoral Patterns, Palabras Pastorales, some songbooks, and all of our WLP octavos are printed here), we need to comply with OSHA regulations, so every few years everyone attends a training session. I always find it fascinating. I learn more about hazardous liquids than I really need to know!

This afternoon, it is back to O'Hare for a flight to Louisville, Kentucky. I am leading a Day of Reflection for RCIA ministers there in the Archdiocese tomorrow. It's called The Conversion Journey: "Theirs" and "Ours." This should be an interesting day. The director of the catechumenate for the Archdiocese, my friend and colleague Maureen Larison, felt strongly that the RCIA ministers in the Archdiocese needed a day during which they reflected on their own journeys of conversion, then put those journeys in dialogue with the ministry of initiation that is focused on cultivating the conversion journeys of catechumens and candidates. I think this is a great idea. Should be interesting to see how the day unfolds. I am approaching this by first looking at Church documents and taking cues about our own conversion from the content of those documents. There will be plenty of reflection time. In the afternoon we will then take what we did in the morning and look at the pivotal conversion and discernment points in the RCIA itself.

And so, my week. I fly back home to Chicago tomorrow night.

I hope your weekend is a good one.

When I went out on my front porch this morning, this caught my eye. We had a series of thunderstorms move through the city overnight and one of the leaves on the caladium plants in the flower boxes "caught" some of the rain. Pondered the sheer beauty of this for a few minutes before heading to the train.



Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: