Wednesday, May 25, 2016

A Convergence: Awed by Ka

Wednesday has dawned warm and sunny here in the Midwest.

Before continuing with my reflections about the last week, which I began yesterday, I wanted to share with you that today is a day of celebration in my heart. 58 years ago today, on Pentecost Sunday in 1958, May 25, something happened that would change the course of my life. And it happened right here:


That is the font in which I was baptized; at Saint Anthony of Padua Church in New Bedford, Massachusetts. So grateful to my Mom and Dad who gave me the greatest gift I have ever been given on that day!

Yesterday I talked about how I was awed by the beauty of God's creation as I hiked through Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park in southern Utah. I found myself in Las Vegas for two nights to end the trip; some friends were getting married there. I decided to take advantage of all the amazing entertainment that is part of the whole experience, so I went to see the Cirque du Soleil production of Ka at the MGM Grand Hotel. Here's a photo I grabbed from the internet, showing the moving stage platform, that went from horizontal to vertical and back throughout the performance; just magical.



I had seen two other Cirque productions in the past. This one was over the top. Just having seen so much of God's creation in nature, I thought I couldn't be "wowed" any more than I had been while hiking. As the production unfolded, what came together before my eyes was simply just more amazing beauty. The soundtrack, piped in through a great sound system in the theater, as well as in speakers in the seat back of my theater chair, was sublime. And the beauty of the performer's bodies, with their dancing and acrobatics, was breathtaking. And the sheer genius of the human minds that conceived of the staging and somehow worked with engineers and construction workers to put this all together just boggled my own small mind. It was 90 minutes of sheer delight.

The beauty that I experienced over the several days I spent in the Southwest made a lasting imprint on my mind and heart. Two very different experiences, for sure, but both showing how God's wonders continue to be worked today.

These are parts one and two of my experience of "convergence." Tomorrow, I want to reflect on part three, which was the fact that during this trip I read Elie Wiesel's Night.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.


No comments: