Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Kudos to "The Bearded Servant"

Wednesday greetings from a soggy and wet Chicago. 44 degrees and raining, but the daffodils and forsythia are in full bloom. Just beautiful.

I wanted to share a link with you today; it is a "vlog" from Drew Hardesty, the "Bearded Servant."


Drew serves as Director of Religious Education at Our Lady of Lourdes Parish in Owensboro, Kentucky. I have never met Drew in person, but feel like I know him through his "Bearded Servant" vlog.


I have checked out his Facebook page from time to time. His vlog posts are, in two words, "really cool." I am inspired by his dedication to a ministry that goes way beyond the usual job description for a DRE. Just check out this video, which is his reflection back on his ministry during Holy Week and the Sacred Triduum. Those of us in or who have once served in parish ministry know well how parish staff members are stretched during this holiest of times. Just watching Drew's video reminded me of just how much parish staff members do in order to draw parishioners into the paschal mystery. The other vlog posts I have watched look to me to be great inspirations for young adults who have been called to work in pastoral ministry in parishes.

I am grateful today to Drew and dedicated servants (those with beards and those without!) who work tirelessly to bring us closer to Christ. Drew's use of social media, vlog posts, replete with wonderful drone video (you have to check this stuff out) pushes me to realize that ministering to parishioners, particularly the young, requires an awareness that, in 2016, we need to make use of as much varied media as we can to do the work of evangelization. Drew is one of those ministers who think way outside the box. Time for many of us more "seasoned" in pastoral ministry to do some stretching. I hope you are inspired by this dedicated "bearded servant."

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: