Monday, April 4, 2016

Easter Joy and Delight

Monday morning greetings from Chicago, where the temperature this morning is 37 degrees; it was 71 yesterday. Ah . . . Spring in the Midwest.

I went to the 9:30 Mass at Old Saint Patrick's, my parish, yesterday. I was glad that they used the interrogative form of the Creed, since I missed my annual renewal of baptism promises last weekend due to illness.

There is an image from that Mass yesterday that has stuck with me.

At Old Saint Patrick's, there are two raised platform areas to the left and right of the sanctuary; the one on the right is for the musicians and the one on the left has chairs set up on it for members of the assembly to sit. I noticed a young couple take their seats on that raised area before Mass. They had two young daughters; one looked like she was about two years old and the other looked to be about six months old; at the beginning of Mass this younger daughter was in one of those sling contraptions and was strapped tightly to her Mom. She became restless just a bit during the first reading, so the parents wiggled her out of the sling and her Dad happily bounced her, kissing her and received huge smiles from his daughter. He passed her back to the Mom after the first reading.



Michael Joncas' setting Psalm 118, "This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad" was the setting that was used. Both the Mom and Dad sang it with gusto. And when I looked up during the refrain, I watched as the Mom sang it right into the face of her little daughter. Reminded me of the image of my grandmother and my own mother singing lullabies to my younger siblings when I was growing up. But this Mom was smiling away and her daughter was just filled with joy and delight.

"Let us rejoice and be glad," indeed!

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: