Monday, April 11, 2016

Cosmos Redeemed

What a delightful surprise at yesterday's 9:30 A.M. Mass at my parish, Old Saint Patrick's. The guest celebrant was Fr. Richard Fragomeni, professor at Catholic Theological Union here in Chicago (my alma mater). Richard is also the rector of the Shrine of Our Lady of Pomeii here in the city. I have known Richard for over thirty years. As part of my doctoral program, I took an independent study with him focused on the hermeneutical analysis of Paul Ricoeur (ask me about that experience some day!).

His homily was brilliant as usual. Richard is very much into talking about outer space, the galaxies, and the universe. He places faith in conversation with astronomy and science. In his homily, he basically said that other intelligent life forms are out there; we just don't have the technology yet to reach them. Ten billion galaxies. 100 billion stars per galaxy. And this is just the observable universe! And all of this in the cosmos has been redeemed by Christ, who rose from death. Hard to wrap my brain around all of this, but glad to hear a homily that really stretched me.


It reminded me of a question someone here at the office asked me the other day concerning baptism. "Jerry, if alien life were to come to earth, would you baptize the alien?" My response, "Would I allow the alien to baptize me?"

Lots to think about as this week dawns.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: