Wednesday, March 30, 2016

An Unusual Easter, To Say the Least

Happy Easter to all.

It turned out to be a rather unusual Easter for me. After having attended the Passion Service at Noon on Good Friday at my parish, Old Saint Patrick's here in Chicago, I began to feel a cold coming on. By Saturday afternoon, I was in bed with what I guess is the flu and only this morning have I returned to work. Not sure how long I will last here at the office.

I had to settle for watching Easter services on television; first time ever that I missed most of the Triduum.

At least I had some flowers in the house to bring in some Easter joy:




Not much else to report; just need to have some take-care-of-Jerry time, I guess. Not used to this stuff.

I hope your experience of the Triduum was filled with grace and joy.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

2 comments:

Justin Huyck said...

Jerry, I was also sick with the flu during the Paschal Triduum. I missed the liturgies on Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and the Vigil (in which I was going to coordinate the servers). I think this is the first time I have missed the liturgies since I was a child. I did make it on Easter Sunday.

There was something definitely lost for me in not ritually practicing these great mysteries that get at the heart of our faith: beginning paschal prayer by "glory-ing" in the Cross, being reminded of Christian service and to pour myself out through footwashing, receiving the sacramental oils into our parish, processing and lingering with the eucharistic presence, venerating the cross, following Christ's light into the church and into freedom, sitting with the Word through the stories of salvation history, welcoming new Christians into this paschal life through baptism and being joined with them in koinonia.

Of course, I still believe in service, Eucharist, the cross, initation... but to not practice them ritually during the Triduum made me reflect on many who miss these liturgies for various reasons: because they are sick, homebound, working, or simply not interested in attending.

If ritual forms us in faith, how can we help form those who miss these rituals? For some, this means pastoral care that connects our liturgical rituals to the human realities (and moments of grace) of the sick and homebound. For others, it may mean liturgical catechesis and evangelization that draws the faithful not only to understand these liturgies, but to want to participate in them because they connect so clearly to our deepest desires as well as the faith we practice in so many other ways throughout the liturgical year.

Jerry Galipeau, D. Min. said...

Thank you, Justin. You make some great points here. I know in the future I will be more aware of those who are unable to attend our ritual celebrations. Easter Peace. Jerry