Monday, March 14, 2016

A Weekend of Prayer and Song

Hard to believe that we are just a week away from Holy Week. The Midwest is currently overcast, and they are hinting at a little snow on Saturday morning. But I did see crocuses in bloom over the weekend.

Speaking of the weekend, I gave a ten minute reflection at each of the five weekend Masses at Sacred Heart parish in Winnetka. When I present parish missions and am invited to offer a reflection and an invitation to the mission on the previous weekend, I always stay for the entirety of the Masses. I love to hear the way that congregations respond in prayer and song. Even though the music selections were the same for each of the five Masses, it was interesting to see them lead by a small women's choir at the 5:00 on Saturday, a cantor and piano at the 7:30 on Sunday, a cantor and trumpet and piano at the 9:00, a wonderful choir in the loft with a fabulous pipe organ at the 10:30, and then a delightful childrens choir, with trumpet and piano at the 4:30 Mass on Sunday afternoon. The choir sang a lovely rendition of There Is a Balm in Gilead at the 10:30. 

I am not too familiar with the cities and parishes directly north of Chicago. 



These are places where many of the wealthier people in the Chicago area live. With the time change on Sunday morning, that 7:30 Mass was sparsely attended, perhaps thirty people tops.

I really loved just praying and singing all weekend with the folks at Sacred Heart. I have been told that, for a variety of reasons, lots of people tend not to come to evening parish events, so I am not expecting crowds for the mission sessions tonight and tomorrow. A nice intimate group will be just fine with me. After praying in this beautiful space all weekend, I am in a mellow kind of spiritual mood. I am so looking forward to talking about baptism tonight and confirmation and Eucharist tomorrow night. 

I'll try to get some photos to share with you over the next few days.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: