Monday, February 22, 2016

What Do Those Living Outside the U.S. Think About What Is Going on Here?

Monday greetings to all.

This weekend marked yet another senseless tragedy here in the United States, the apparent random shooting of six people in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

I often wonder what my brothers and sisters living outside the United States think about what goes on in our country, especially all these mass shootings.

I remember well visiting the wonderful city of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan nearly each year in the early part of this century. Each time I visited I stayed at the Mother House of an order of Ursuline Sisters. I remember their keen interest in American politics. When George Bush was elected to a second term, I was with the sisters just a few short weeks after the election was "decided" by the courts. One of the elderly sisters questioned me at breakfast, "Jerry, how is it that you voted Bush in again?" Without engaging in a political debate, I simply said, "Sister, I exercised my constitutional right and I cast my vote a few Tuesday's ago; for that I am grateful. I have only one vote." It amazed me how engaged these elderly women were with the political system here in the United States.

As the current election season unfolds, I wonder what my Canadian friends, and those from around the world who follow this blog, think of what's happening in the United States right now. Just driving into work this morning and listening to the results of the recent caucus and primary, my carpool colleague and I wondered aloud how a certain candidate continues to garner support.



By the way, I am counting myself with Pope Francis, who said that those who build walls instead of bridges are simply not Christian.

As you know, I usually stay away from political topics here, but just had to wonder this morning . . .

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.


1 comment:

Jen said...

I am Canadian and to be 100% honest, it boggles my mind how American politics works. I cannot even begin to fathom how a certain candidate is getting so much support and why (it seems) people aren't putting a stop to it. The fear that people must have to embrace such rhetoric is scary indeed. It makes me feel powerless on how to stop it.

A friend of mine is Muslim and lives in SC. His daughter, age 6, has nightmares because of what she has seen in the media and what it may mean for her.

It makes me think of what the world must have been like in Europe in the 1930s and it makes me ill to think of our world going through that experience again.

My prayers seeem so ineffective, but oh so important at the same time.