Thursday, February 4, 2016

Baltimore and Expanding a Narrow RCIA Vision

Thursday greetings from the Mid-Atlantic Congress for Pastoral Leadership here in Baltimore, Maryland. Here is the view from my hotel room, looking right down into Camden Yards, home of the Baltimore Orioles.


We finished setting up the WLP booth this morning; we begin our exhibits in a few hours.



WLP and J.S.Paluch printed the programs for the conference and we are sponsoring two workshops, one by John Angotti, the other by yours truly.

This has been a busy conference season for me since the beginning of the year. I will have a few weeks off before heading to Anaheim for the Los Angeles Religious Education Congress at the end of the month.

At Mass on Sunday morning at Old Saint Patrick's in Chicago, a woman sitting next to me introduced herself, letting me know that she follows this blog. So a shout out both to that parishioner, and to my Dad; I found out recently that he reads the blog regularly. Hi Dad!

I am hoping that the folks here at the conference grow in their faith. I am talking about rebuilding the RCIA, with a focus on the initiating community. Too often, the RCIA has morphed from the "Father Smith Instructs Jackson" approach simply to "The RCIA Team Instructs Jackson." It takes some stretching for RCIA ministers to envision the entire parish as the initiators. But I really do think it is not rocket science; it just takes a commitment to expanding a narrow vision. But you already know that, because you read this blog!

Please say a prayer for those gathered here in Baltimore.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.



No comments: