Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Cherishing the Catholic Lineage

Tuesday greetings to all.

I don't know about you, but this time of year can make me wistful and nostalgic. A friend and colleague here at WLP researched my family lineage last year and what a gift that was for me.

I began to think today about all those Advents and Christmases that Galipeau's must have spent in France, in Canada, and in the United States over the years. My Galipeau line is traced back directly to Dissay, France, a small town near Poitiers. There is a plaque there that names my great grandfather, nine times over, Antoine Galipeau, who emigrated to "New France" from Dissay.


There are two parish churches in Dissay, St. Pierre, pictured here


and Saint Paul:


Just thinking today what it must have been like to walk to these churches in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries to celebrate Christmas. I wonder what my forbears ate and what traditions and music they celebrated and sang.

Some day I hope to visit this place. Christmas has a way of moving our hearts and minds to times past. And I love it and cherish it.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: