Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Advent: Pray and Act

Tuesday greetings on this first day of December.

Lots of mixed emotions swirling around over the past several days. My last post "Disgusted in Chicago" touched on my deep feelings about the 13 month delay in releasing that horrible video of the shooting of Laquan McDonald. After a wonderful Thanksgiving on Thursday, Friday dawned and I decided I needed to do something more than sulk about what had occurred. So I joined about one thousand others and walked down Michigan Avenue in Chicago, a march for justice. It was a peaceful march in the cold rain. I wasn't there to block shoppers' entrances into stores; I just felt like I needed to do something. So I joined a diverse group of Chicagoans, among them Catholic priests and other clergymen and women and simply walked and joined in a call for justice.

Then, on Sunday at Mass came the final words of the First Reading: ". . . this is what they shall call her: The Lord our justice." The homilist asked us to pray for an end to violence and for justice in our world and particularly in our city. Then he said that it couldn't stop with prayer; we are called to act. So, in the middle of what was planned to be a relaxing holiday weekend with family and friends, I prayed and I acted for justice. Some have already told me that they thought the march on Friday was not a good thing because it caused some stores to lose some of their "black Friday" revenue and that the march accomplished nothing. The march itself lasted for a little under an hour and the media and Chicago Police Department made it clear that it would disrupt traffic. We had police presence and protection all the way along. I feel in my heart it was the right thing to do. I just couldn't sit at home on Friday.



So, Advent has dawned and I am looking for other ways to pray and act.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: