Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Disgusted in Chicago

Wednesday greetings on a bright and sunny day here in Chicago.

Chicago is not an easy place to live these days. Yesterday, as I am sure most of you heard, a dash-cam video was released, showing the murder of a young black man by a white Chicago police officer. The tragedy occurred over a year ago. The "machine" that is Chicago politics should be ashamed that this video was not released sooner and that justice has been this long delayed. Our illustrious mayor sat on all of this for months and months. Some say that had the video been released before his re-election, he surely would not have been re-elected. Frankly, this is disgusting.

Last night, I took my parents, who are celebrating their 61st wedding anniversary today and are visiting from Boston for Thanksgiving, to the annual tree-lighting in downtown Chicago.



And there this mayor stood, just hours after the video was released, gushing about how wonderful our city is for families. The hypocrisy slammed me in the face.

So, on this day before Thanksgiving, I am reminded that there are way too many people in my city and in our country for whom there is little to be thankful when fear and hypocrisy run rampant.

Sorry for this downer today.

On a lighter note, I am looking forward to spatchcocking my turkey tonight.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray


No comments: