Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Turkey on the Horizon

Wednesday greetings to all.

Well, this is my last day at work for awhile; I am leaving for Turkey this evening via a stopover in Copenhagen.



You can see the places where I plan to visit on this map.

Did you know that Turkey currently is the home to approximately two million Syrian refugees? It is going to be quite interesting to be in the middle of this unfolding crisis. Turkey issues a kind of visitor status to refugees, but not work permits, which means that these two million people cannot earn a living while in Turkey. This is one of the main reasons why we hear of people trying to cross sections of the Aegean Sea near Bodrum to reach Greece, where their journeys continue in the hope of reaching Western Europe to find jobs and settle into new homes. I will be staying in Bodrum for three nights before heading to Ephesus. I hope to be able to understand more deeply what this refugee situation means for all involved.

Hearing some of the stories just tears at one's heartstrings. I heard one story of a professional man whose offices were bombed one day and his home the next. I often try to put myself in these kinds of situations. I imagine what it would be like if I arrived at our offices here one day and found them destroyed by bombs. And returning home to find my neighborhood in ruins. My heart aches for those in this kind of situation. It helps me to understand why nearly half the population of Syria has fled.

So, folks, please say a prayer for these refugees today and, if I may ask, a prayer of safety for all travelers.

I plan to blog while in Turkey if all the technological pieces come together.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

1 comment:

Robyn Dolan said...

Jerry, that sounds wonderful! Looking forward to your posts from Turkey, about people and places. Have a great time.