Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Making Music in Carmel and a Splendid Baptism Font

Tuesday greetings on a warm and sunny day here in Chicago.

Last Friday, I drove the 175 miles down to Carmel, Indiana, to lead a WLP Sing the Seasons Choral Reading Session (our first of this "season"). We had a delightful time at the Church of our Lady of Mount Carmel.

When I arrived, I was struck by the beauty of the baptism font in the large narthex. The sides, in between the white arches, are made of glass or plexiglass and there is a blue hue to the water; pretty stunning.


I took a short video while there.

video

While speaking with the director of liturgy and music, I found out that, even though the font itself is quite stunning, it is not very practical when adults are baptized because there is no real easy way to get in and out. The one to be baptized has to be helped to sit on the edge, then helped in; then the process is repeated once the baptism is completed to help the newly baptized out of the font. I thought of the many fonts that I have seen in Italy, mostly from around the fifth century, that have this same design. It must have been difficult for the one to be baptized to get in and out of those fonts as well. Frankly, I just thought this font in Carmel was splendid.

The next morning, I led the RCIA day for the Diocese of Lafayette in the same location in Carmel. Many of you know that I have been preparing for this day for some time now, with its focus on "forming intentional disciples." It was a challenging day for me; I will share more details about it in tomorrow's blog.

Tonight, we have our second "Sing the Seasons" event, this time here in the Chicago area at Saint Mary of Gostyn in Downers Grove, Illinois.

More tomorrow.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I see that font, I see danger Will Robinson danger: the polished marble surround is a poor design choice. What you want are textured, absorbent tiles with excellent immediate drainage - not mortared to repel drainage.