Monday, July 27, 2015

WOWed at Mass

Greetings on this Monday summer morning.

I had a huge "wow" at Sunday Mass yesterday at Old Saint Patrick's here in Chicago.

Those who follow this blog know of my recent struggles to articulate who the Lord Jesus is in my own life and what that relationship is like right now. My ancillary struggle has to do with how to train catechists and those in initiation ministry in naming this relationship in their own lives and how to help others do the same.

Well, yesterday at Mass, I made the conscious decision to open my eyes, my ears, and my heart as widely as possible. My questions: Who is Jesus Christ in all of this? What kind of portrait of the Lord Jesus is painted by the texts prayed by the celebrant; in the sacred scriptures proclaimed; in the preaching; in the texts and textures of the music sung; on the faces of those in liturgical leadership and those around me; in the sacramental and ritual actions?

Like I said, WOW! My friend became more and more real to me yesterday. This Jesus Christ, the miracle multiplier, gave me more fish and bread than I could possibly consume yesterday. 

It's a Monday here with lots of tasks, so I will save some of my discoveries for posts in the next few days.

" . . . like those come before us, we listen and learn. We remember the promise and await your return. So without hesitation a new generation proclaims the salvation of God!"

These were the words of our opening song yesterday, Gathered As One. These words opened my heart and mind; all hesitation was gone. And what happened next surprised me and brought me to tears. 

More later.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.  

2 comments:

Daniel said...

"Gathered as One" is one of my favorite hymns. I am glad that you found the lyrics to be so meaningful yesterday.

Robyn Dolan said...

Cool. Can't wait to hear about your discoveries.