Friday, July 17, 2015

Prayers for Musicians in Philadelphia, New York, and Washington, DC

Well, folks, this has been a great week back at the office; here without travel for nearly three weeks and I am loving it.

We are gearing up for the Jubilee Year of Mercy here and have some wonderful resources that we will be publishing for your folks in the pews, as well as for the parish "gatekeepers" and those responsible for parish communications (web sites, bulletins, newsletters, email blasts, etc.) More to come as we draw closer to Autumn.

Last week, at the Notre Dame Folk Choir event at the NPM convention in Grand Rapids, I provided the narration and added a little "ad lib" myself. I was aware that many of the people in the cathedral were musicians who would be responsible for providing musical leadership for the upcoming visit of Pope Francis to the United States. I remember well the planning and organization that went into the first visit of Saint John Paul II in October of 1979 (before some of you were born!). I was one of the organists for the first Mass he celebrated in the United States, on Boston Common on October 1 of that year.




Months and months of planning and rehearsals went into that one event, So, at the concert in Grand Rapids, I asked those in attendance to pray for our musician friends and colleagues who will be responsible for the upcoming papal visit. I ask humbly that you join me in prayerful support of those who will work so hard over the next few months to prepare those papal Masses in Philadelphia, New York, and Washington, DC.

I hope that your weekend is a good one. It's going to be a hot and humid one here in Chicago!

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: