Friday, May 1, 2015

The Year of Jubilee and Us

Friday greetings from the sunny Midwest.



The Jubilee Year of Mercy will begin in December. Here is a good article I just read about jubilee years in biblical and Church history.

A couple of paragraphs struck me in particular:

The Year of Jubilee is not an invention of the Catholic Church. Rather, it is rooted in the Old Testament. The Law of Moses, as presented in Leviticus 25:10-14, states that there should be a year of jubilee every 50 years.
It was a wonderful year, announced with great fanfare. Property was restored to its original owner. Slaves were set free and returned to their proper family. Debts were forgiven. The land was left uncultivated. Jesus Christ, quoting Isaiah 61:1-2, announced the completion of the Jubilee according to the Law of Moses with its replacement and presented himself as being the new jubilee, not only to Israel but to humanity (Luke 4:19). He came down from heaven to redeem the world.

I wonder what a Year of Jubilee can mean for me? Is it a year in which I sit idly by, merely talking about Pope Francis, the mercy of God? Or is it something I am being called to take an active role in myself? What would it mean in my life to set slaves free? To forgive debts? To leave the land uncultivated?

Certainly lots to ponder. I hope your weekend is a good one.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

1 comment:

The Rambling Quilter said...

Jubilee Years can be wonderful – but the average pew sitting Catholic needs to hear about what it means. When we had the Year of Jubilee for the Millennium with St John Paul, I was serving on the Pastoral Council of our parish. We got an inside view of what it all meant and being a co-chair of the Council I was privileged to Open the Millennium Doors in our church. Now that I’m reading about the newest Jubilee of Mercy I am struck by how Jubilee years seem to have many similarities regardless of their purpose. During the Year of the Millennium my husband and I forgave the ‘debts’ our children owed us. They were small amounts and they were paying us back to teach them money responsibilities but by forgiving them, and telling them why, we hoped to teach them another lesson – this is what God and the Church were telling us we should do. This time I hope the local churches emphasize, once again, the traditions and blessing that we receive during all Jubilee Years. I'm hoping to find even more meaning this time and I'm reading and praying a lot about Mercy and just what that means.