Monday, May 4, 2015

Old Saint Pat's

Monday greetings on a warm Spring day here in Chicago.

For the past several weeks, I have been going to Old Saint Pat's parish for Sunday Mass.



I have a fairly long stretch of time without travel and it has been a delight to be kind of a "regular" somewhere. I have to admit that I have been checking their Mass schedule before each weekend; they publish the list of celebrants and I have been looking for the Mass at which Fr. Ed Foley is the celebrant. His preaching touches me so deeply.

I actually live in Old Saint Pat's parish; it's just a few blocks away from my home in the West Loop of Chicago. The music is quite fine (although I do miss a pipe organ; piano and other acoustic instruments only here). On Sunday, I was seated in the fifth row (you have to arrive quite early to get a seat that close to the front). At one point, I looked around me and I would say that nine out of ten people were singing. The acoustics are wonderful. When Ed Bolduc's Gloria from his Mass of Saint Ann is sung, the roof just about comes off the place.

There are some things about the Mass as celebrated there that are certainly not consistent with some of the finer points of the General Instruction of the Roman Missal. But the celebration of the liturgy is so energetic. People sing and pray there with conviction and enthusiasm. The preaching and music is some of the best I have heard. The interior of the church is richly decorated and lifts my mind and heart in and of itself. Maybe I have at last found a home? Too early to tell, but we will see.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you found your home! I'm looking for one of my own. It's hard feeling like you don't quite belong.