Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Go Out in the World: My Little World

Greetings from the Midwest.

Yesterday, I celebrated the 57th anniversary of my Baptism. As you know from recent posts, it has been a rather sad time at my home in Chicago. Twenty-five mature and beautiful trees were cut down in the area right outside my small balcony to make way for "progress;" a development that will contain 130 apartments. One of my my friends suggested, through a Facebook post, that I try my best to create some beauty for those who will call this new apartment complex "home" in the coming years.

So, yesterday, as I celebrated my Baptism, I decided to spend the day trying to create a beautiful space that at least the demolition teams, construction workers, and passersby gazing up at our now "naked" building might appreciate. On Sunday at the Pentecost Mass, the closing song echoed the message of the day; we were told to "Go out in the world, tell everyone the Good News!"

So, in a very, very small way, I tried to make a difference in my little world yesterday, one that I hope will bring beauty and joy to people. I left very early in the morning and went to a local nursery, purchasing the flowers and plants for the flower boxes on the now "naked" balcony. I set up my iPod and speaker and listened to Puccini and some classical music as the little urban garden took shape. Here's a video of the progress thus far, including the music playing at the time!

video

Beauty does make a difference.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Good for you to light a candle rather than curse the darkness!

Denise Morency Gannon said...

I'm proud of you Jerry. Now that's progress!

Jerry Galipeau, D. Min. said...

Thank you, Denise. You are my inspiration!
Jerry