Thursday, April 16, 2015

I'm Gettin' Married in the Mornin' . . .

Thursday greetings.

Last evening I attended the annual "Celebration of Mundelein Seminary" gala here in Chicago. It is one of those Catholic social events that brings together the bishops and priests of the Archdiocese, as well as hundreds of seminarians who are studying at Mundelein Seminary. Here's a view of this amazingly beautiful property:


This is an event like no other that I attend. One of Chicago's local newscasters, Allison Rosati, is the MC.


The live music is provided by the City Lights Orchestra. There are award presentations and a wonderful meal. Over $370,000 was raised during this fundraising gala.

This is what I would call an "old-school" society gathering. The live orchestra provides music as people are called forth to give a speech or accept an award.

Last night, I had the opportunity to meet our new Archbishop, Blase J. Cupich, for the first time. His photo graces my desktop here at the office, along with another one of my favorite bishops.


When Archbishop Cupich was introduced last night, the City Lights Orchestra's music filled the ballroom as the archbishop walked to the podium. If you were to pick an appropriate song to accompany the walk of an archbishop to a podium, what would that be?

I bet none of you would ever have guessed what they played.

"I'm Gettin' Married in the Morning . . . Get Me to the Church On Time."

Many of us just stared at one another in wonder. The Archbishop glanced over at the orchestra as the music came to a close and said something like, "I guess some people might think that I am late arriving at things sometimes."

Here was my view as the archbishop began his inspiring remarks about the priesthood.


I was glad to be there and to support the work of Mundelein Seminary and the Archdiocese I call home.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: