Tuesday, March 3, 2015

What a Morning!

Ah . . . just looked at my post yesterday and saw these words: "We are expecting heavy snow, ice, and freezing rain tonight into tomorrow morning; should be an interesting commute to work tomorrow morning!"

Well, I walked to my train in Chicago's West Loop this morning. The "Green Line" travels due west to Harlem Avenue, where my carpool colleagues pick me up for the rest of the trip into the office. Well, about a third of the of the way into the trip, the train lost power and slowly entered a station. No power. No heat. Ice had formed on the tracks, preventing the third rail from powering the train. And from the news reports, it looks like this was happening all over the city. Well, I was stuck for nearly two hours between stations on that disabled train. And I was one of the fortunate ones; others were calling into work and told that their pay would be docked because of the missed time at work. Others were meeting their kids. Some were trying to get to school.

Fortunately, they pulled another train up to ours eventually and it created a train long enough to walk through to reach a station.

Others weren't so lucky:



 All I could think of was what my mother used to say to us in similar situations when we were kids, "Offer it up."



It has not been a good transportation winter for yours truly. I hesitate to get into the cab at 4:00 A.M. on Thursday to head to the airport to then fly to Tucson via Denver. Today is one of those days when I ask myself, "Why did I ever move here from Florida? Why do I live in this God-forsaken tundra?!?"

Anyhoo, behind on my work now. And still . . . . .

. . . . . Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: