Thursday, March 26, 2015

Putting Things in Context

Thursday greetings from the home office here in Franklin Park, Illinois.

In yesterday's post I was lamenting over this cold I picked up and the fact that my prayer life hasn't been quite up to par during this particular Lenten Season. Sometimes I think a blogger like me can fall into the "blah, blah, blah" trap. Yesterday's comment from one of the readers of the blog helped me contextualize.

In response to the question I posed in yesterday's post-- "Last night, while turning to the Lord in prayer during what was a very restless and sleepless night for me, I sort of said, 'Hello, Lord, remember me?' before I started praying in earnest. Ever feel that way?" -- the person who commented said this: "Yes I feel that way every time I have Chemo, but then I remember something my mother used to say . . . God isn't going to let anything happen to you today that you and He cannot handle together. She was right."

So, here I sit, sniffling and sneezing and complaining. I need to remind myself that there are people undergoing chemotherapy right now. I need to remind myself that there are people whose restless nights have to do with the fear that accompanies a cancer diagnosis. I have to remind myself that my woes are like a grain of sand when compared to the terrible anguish like the families of the recent airline crash in Europe must be experiencing.


Maybe this is what God has in mind for me during this Lenten Season: "Jerry, turn to me with your whole heart, watch your complaining, and focus on the things that really matter; I'm not going to let anything happen to you that you and I cannot handle together."

Thank you for yesterday's comment. Helped me more than you know.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: