Friday, February 6, 2015

God's Microphone

Friday greetings to all.

This week's posts on my blog certainly show that this has been a week of personal struggle for me, as I have tried to engage with some hard issues. Thanks for listening and accompanying me this week.

In the midst of trying to figure out what my own Catholic response is to the atrocities that continue to unfold in the Middle East, I have been doing more research into the life of Oscar Romero, martyr.

I found this quote:

"Each one of you has to be God's microphone. Each one of you has to be a messenger, a prophet. The church will always exist as long as there is someone who has been baptized . . . Where is your baptism? You are baptized in your professions, in the fields of workers, in the market. Wherever there is someone who has been baptized, that is where the church is. There is a prophet there. Let us not hide the talent that God gave us on the day of our baptism and let us truly live the beauty and responsibility of being a prophetic people."

I think that this is what I have been trying to do for the last few decades of my life; somehow "to be God's microphone." And that is not said with haughtiness. It's the reason I wrote my most recent book. I really think and believe that Catholics are in need of a wake-up call when it comes to baptism. Perhaps I should have borrowed from Romero and titled the book; "You Are God's Microphone."

I believe, more strongly than I have in decades, that the Roman Catholic Church, most visibly through Pope Francis, is calling for a renewal of baptismal living. Each of us must ask, "How am I called to be a prophet in my profession? In my field of workers? In the market in which I find myself?" And asking that question needs to be done on a daily basis until we live our lives in such a way that things around us begin to be transformed. And that is what being Church means, don't you think? "Wherever there is someone who has been baptized, that is where the church is."

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.



No comments: