Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Where Should We Start?

Greetings on another dreary day here in the Midwest. Promise of sun tomorrow! Hooray!

Yesterday's report regarding the CIA interrogations has me reeling. I remember well a comment my six-year-old nephew made on September 11, 2001. You see, just a few months before, my youngest sister, his aunt, had died after a long struggle with multiple sclerosis. After the horrible tragedies of September 11, my nephew said that "Aunt Joanne now has many, many more friends in heaven." Simply the way a young child interprets reality.

I guess I might be too simple in my approach to living this human existence on this planet of ours. On that day, I felt pain that so many of my human brothers and sisters had suffered and died so horribly. I felt the pain in my heart as I watched loved ones seaching for the missing. And I have to say that I felt the same pain as I read some of the sections of the report on the CIA interrogations yesterday. These people were still human beings, and what they went through at the hands of other human beings brought pain into my heart.

I know that it is all way more complicated. We see human beings bring pain and death upon other human beings every single day. And some of the comments I have read in the "Comments" section beneath newspaper articles about the report left me so sad for humanity. What would happen if we saw one another as members of the same human family first, rather than members of a certain race or ethnic group, or members of a political party or faction, or members of a religious sect? Every one of us was born from the womb of our mothers; we all were fed and sustained; we all cry; we all feel physical pain; we all bleed; we all breathe. I know this is simplistic, but why can't we start with what we all have in common? Respect for other human beings has eroded. We are seing more of the results of that erosion.

Praying that some good will come out of all this.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

2 comments:

Peg L said...

Jerry, I, too, wonder at the state of our world and how so many people have forgotten the greatest commandments - to love God and to love each other. I remember my first reaction on Sept 11 was to pray for the victims, but then to pray for the terrorists and, most especially, their families. We should all try to live as God taught us, "love one another, as I have loved you."

Kathleen Basi said...

"What would happen if we saw one another as members of the same human family first...?"

Amen. Just Amen.