Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The Robe of Salvation

Tuesday greetings from the overcast Midwest.

On Sunday morning, I was really draw into the First Reading from Isaiah. I couldn't help but think of the baptismal character of these words:

I rejoice heartily in the LORD,
in my God is the joy of my soul;
for he has clothed me with a robe of salvation
and wrapped me in a mantle of justice . . .


When I heard the words, I thought about being "clothed with a robe of salvation." When I was baptized, I wore a baptismal "gown" that has passed through generations in my family. On that day in 1958, I wore the same gown as did my grandfather at his own baptism decades earlier. And my grandfather was my godfather. That gown has become, for generations of Galipeau's, the symbolic "robe of salvation."

The memory of that garment was bittersweet for me and helped me understand baptism more deeply. Many, many of us were baptized in that very garment. Some have spent our lives responding to what having been baptized really means in life. Others have turned away. I do not stand in judgment on any of these loved ones. I hear similar stories throughout my travels, mostly from deeply saddened parents and grandparents. I just wonder how, in the same family, raised by the same loving sets of parents, some respond to the baptismal call and others simply don't. I live in the hope that someday we all will see what joy living the baptismal call can bring. I hope the same thing for you, readers of Gotta Sing Gotta Pray. A blessed continuation of this holy season to you.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: