Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Reaching into the Unrest

Tuesday greetings on a very dreary day here in the Midwest. Light rain and temperatures in the 30's now for several days.

I remember well my first winter here in the Midwest. I moved here from sunny central Florida. On my first Thanksgiving here, the homilist for the Thanksgiving Day Mass began his homily with these words: "I don't know what we have to be thankful for; we haven't seen the sun here in 29 straight days!" Ah, the Midwest!

I don't know about you, but these are days of fond remembrances for me of Advents and Christmases long past. I guess I still have the eyes of a child during this season. Each afternoon as the light disappears earlier and earlier and appears later and later in the morning, I remember my childhood days in New England. As my carpool colleagues and I drive home each day, I marvel at the Christmas lights adorning yards and homes. I also laugh at overblown Rudolphs and snowmen and Santas and reindeer; most of these are so out of scale in the smallish Chicago front yards. This weekend I saw a yard decoration and as I looked more closely, I realized it was a Christmas Dachshund, like this one:

Makes me chuckle!

I have been praying for peace during these days of protests in our country. The unrest sparked by recent court decisions (or non-decisions) leaves me in a state of unrest as well. "How long, O Lord?" As I sing the Advent hymns, asking for Emmanuel ("God-with-us") to come into our hearts and into our world, I find that too often it seems that God feels strangely absent in it all, kind of like a "God-not-with-us." Yet I know deep down that God is most present when I sense this lack of presence. Kind of a strange paradox, don't you think?

As our days here at WLP become seemingly busier and busier, I am so grateful for the work that the dedicated members of our staff accomplish in these days. Our hope, of course, is that our work is making a difference in parishes. Our hope is that, even in times of unrest and a seeming lack of God's presence, somehow the music and prayer resources we publish will reach into that unrest and keep the promise of peace alive.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: