Monday, November 17, 2014

Music and Hospitality

Monday greetings from the frigid Midwest. Does anyone else think that this is way too cold way too early?


I went to Mass yesterday at a local parish. This is one of those places where I have been quite frustrated because the effort has not been made to let the assembly members know where to find the sung Mass parts.

I was delighted yesterday. Placed into the worship resource was a card that contained the music for the Gloria, Sanctus, Memorial Acclamation, Great Amen, and Lamb of God.

The Gloria was one that I believe was newly composed for the new translation. It was refrain-style; I liked the refrain and sang it; I prefer through-composed Glorias, but this one was fine.

The Sanctus was a re-worked setting. I have never been quite able to grasp the new rhythm for the first line, until yesterday, because I finally had the music in front of me.

I have not been able to sing the re-worked setting of the Memorial Acclamation for this particular Mass setting either; that is until yesterday.

The Great Amen was part of this set of eucharistic acclamations and had not changed.

The Lamb of God was familiar.

Musicians, please, please find a way to let visitors and your parishioners know where to find the music for the Mass. Provide a card. Just do something. With the holidays approaching, you will have many more visitors and "occasional Catholics" in your pews. This is ultimately an issue of Christian hospitality. When was the last time you went to a new restaurant and there was no menu provided?

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

2 comments:

Orin Johnson said...

One of our parishioners, who came through our RCIA process a couple years ago, has made it his personal apostolate (through donations) to ensure exactly this, for exactly the reasons you have. Even though we are returning to a very familiar setting to us for Advent, he insisted we get the booklets for it. Grateful to him for his thoughtfulness and resources.

Joseph Burgio said...

I agree that this is an issue of hospitality. But I think that you are ignoring what is the root of the problem. There are TOO MANY MASS SETTINGS. The new translation has certainly been a boon for the publishers.