Monday, September 15, 2014

Viva San Antonio!

Monday greetings from the home office here in Franklin Park.

I spent the last three days in San Antonio, Texas. On Friday night, at the Archdiocesan Pastoral Center, I presented a two-hour workshop on the link between the RCIA, particularly the period of the precatechumenate, and the Church's work of evangelization. I was able to share some of WLP's helpful RCIA resources as well.


The folks in attendance were excited about their ministry and seemed to appreciate the opportunity to come together. The Archdiocese of San Antonio is focusing on the new evangelization in a very organized way and their process kicked off this weekend in all Archdiocesan parishes as the diocese celebrated "Welcome Sunday." You can read more here.

On Saturday morning, I was at Saint Francis of Assisi parish, where I led a morning of reflection for their music ministers.



Approximately fifty musicians were in attendance.


Our focus was on our music ministry rooted in our baptismal call, as well as discussion about the relationship between the way that the musical arts function and the call to evangelization. After a lunch break, I then led another presentation for the parish's other liturgical ministers, based on the call to ministry rooted in our baptism, confirmation, and Eucharist, using this section from Pope Francis' Evangelii Gaudium:

At the same time, a clear awareness of this responsibility of the laity, grounded in their baptism and confirmation, does not appear in the same way in all places. In some cases, it is because lay persons have not been given the formation needed to take on important responsibilities.

After a wonderful dinner with some of my San Antonio friends (some of whom I have known for 25+ years), and a good night's rest, I made my way to the 11:00 A.M. Mass at Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton parish. It was so heartwarming and hopeful to see a church packed with people, with folks standing along the walls and in the back of the church. Lots and lots of children. This has just not been my experience at the parishes where I go to Mass here in Chicago. The baptism font at the parish is intriguing.






Here's a short video clip.

video

After Mass on Sunday afternoon, I led another session, this time for 100+ liturgical ministers at Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton. What a wonderful afternoon spent with these dedicated ministers.

It was an exhausting weekend for me. Took this "selfie" on the plane on my way home; I guess I didn't look any worse for the wear! But I was tired, to say the least!


I am here at the office every day this week, which is such a blessing. Next weekend, it is off to Los Angeles for a WLP Sing the Seasons choral reading session at Loyola Marymount University.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

2 comments:

Kathleen Basi said...

That is just about the coolest baptismal font I've ever seen. I'm so grateful that you document these for all of us who don't get around too much.

Jackie Scherer said...

Thank you for coming to SA to share your heartfelt experiences and your wealth of knowledge! I also enjoy the picture of the baptismal font at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton... I wonder at the symbolism of the spiral... is it meant to be a metaphor of our spiritual journey beginning with baptism and leading outwards to eternity?