Thursday, April 17, 2014

There I Was, In My Warm Bed

At this moment in Rome, Pope Francis is celebrating the Mass of the Lord's Supper at Don Gnocchi Centre. He will undoubtedly be washing the feet of twelve elderly and disabled people, honoring and upholding their human dignity in a simple yet extraordinary gesture.



Human dignity. One very early morning this week, I awoke after having tossed and turned most of the night, thinking about work and some challenges in my own family. I reached over and turned on my iPhone, logged onto the internet, and first saw the story of the capsizing of the ferry in Korea. There I was, in my warm bed. Suddenly it dawned on me that there were other human beings, just like me, who were going through a period of immense and unfathomable personal torment at that very moment as that ship went down.

There I was, in my warm bed.

For some reason,



this came to mind at that moment.

And then I recalled Saint Paul's words in First Corinthians:
"If one part [of the body] suffers, all the parts suffer with it; if one part is honored, all the parts share its joy."

There I was, in my warm bed.

As we celebrate the paschal mystery over the next few days, my hope and prayer is that we (I, in a particular way), will remember how connected we are to the human family. Some members of this family share our Christian faith; others do not, yet we are all created in God's image and likeness. And as many of us are in the "warm beds" of our own lives, I hope that we will remember those who live through the cold-heartedness of an every-day existence. I will be remembering those who live in fear, whose family's safety is threatened each day. When we wash one another's feet, let us honor and uphold the human dignity of those whose feet are washed in our assemblies and, by extension, remember that all our brothers and sisters across this planet have as much of a right to an upholding of human dignity as do those who gather in our churches.

There I was, in my warm bed.

A very blessed and grace-filled Triduum to you all.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.


1 comment:

Jennifer Kerr Budziak said...

Every year I think of you on this day, and how you and I really sort of "met" for the first time on Holy Thursday at Ascension church many years ago, over a basin of water, washing each others' feet. A lovely way to meet a lovely friend.

Thank you for this reflection--holding you and all those you love (which, you being you, is a heckuva lot, and I like that) in the Light this weekend!

Peace,
Jennifer