Friday, April 25, 2014

Playing and Playing and Playing

What a week! I am usually at the NCEA convention the week after Easter, so not having gone this year, I found my schedule a little more open than usual here at the office. So, I made the decision to steal away a few hours every day to play every single keyboard accompaniment to every single song in WLP's hardbound hymnal, One in Faith, to be released in the Fall.



I have been driving everyone crazy around here. Tuesday we all "celebrated" Advent and Christmas, as I played everything from "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" to "In the Bleak Midwinter." As the week moved on we went through the Lenten and Easter Seasons. I have about 250 more pieces to play through. The reason why I am doing this is two-fold. I want to be more and more familiar with the pieces, new and old. I am also doing it, not with an editor's hat on, but with the hat of a music director.

So far, I have found some surprises, a few wrong notes in accompaniments for traditional hymns that have been in our accompaniments for decades. What has been most rewarding, however, has been the sense I am getting that this is just a fine hymnal, with a wide breadth of music in every genre for the worshipping church. I can't wait until the book is printed so that we can begin sending out samples!

I hope your Octave of Easter has been filled with joy. Mine certainly has!

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

1 comment:

Denise Anderson said...

How great!~ Easter joy!