Monday, April 28, 2014

Canonization: A Bit Unsettled

Happy Monday to all.

I set my alarm for 3:30 A.M. when I went to bed on Saturday night. I woke up with the alarm and sleepily watched the canonization Mass. For me, Pope John XXIII remains one of the central heroes of my life. He was a man who was supposed to keep the Church in neutral, not push any buttons, and maintain the status quo. Instead, inspired by the Holy Spirit, this simple man ushered in one of the greatest reforms the Church has ever seen. It is because of his actions that I am the Catholic that I am today.

I read with concern today the article published in the National Catholic Reporter by Fr. Thomas Doyle, "Records show that John Paul II could have intervened in abuse crisis - but didn't." I have always felt that the rush to canonize Pope John Pope John Paul II has been just that, a rush. It would seem to me that there needs to be a longer period of reflection before someone is named a saint. Fr. Doyle's article is deeply troubling and makes me even more uneasy about the quickness of the decision for canonization. Anyone else feel that way, or am I totally off base here?

I went to Mass at Notre Dame de Chicago yesterday and was greeted by the breeze blowing through these ribbons; just a wonderful announcement of the resurrection of Christ; lifted my spirits and brought me much joy.


Gotta sing. Gotta pray.


7 comments:

FJH 3rd said...

Sainthood does not mean the Saint never made a mistake. Look at St. Peter!

I do, however, sympathize with your unease over the rush job canonization. Such processes are usually best left intact. At the very least the accelerated schedule leaves the Church vulnerable to such doubts and accusations.

Anonymous said...

I do not agree with you at all. Any human being COULD do a lot of things. His sanctity and cause for sainthood is based on what he DID do, both in his life and as an intercessor from heaven. You have a lot of nerve doubting the wisdom of the church in these matters. Just because somebody CAN write a certain blog doesn't mean he should.

Anonymous said...

I agree. Sainthood does not mean he was perfect. He made MANY mistakes. As we ALL do. Perhaps we can seek inspiration in JPII's humility.

Joanne Mercier said...

To Anonymous #1:
And just because some folks, especially one hiding behind anonymity, CAN respond to an honest reflection is such an unChristian manner doesn't mean they SHOULD either.

That being said, I understand where you are coming from, good doctor, but I will defer to the Church's wisdom and due process on this one. What saddened me more was how much "press" was given to one over the other. As one who is old enough to have witnessed and benefited from "Il papa buono" I have to say that were it not for a John XXIII there may not have been a John Paul II.

May both saints pray for us and our Church.

L Grant said...

The Church has always prided itself on taking hundreds of years to do what might have been done in ten. They have said that it was to consider the repercussions from all angles and to avoid making decisions that affect the whole church based on emotion or possibly personal gain. Time clears the mind and opens the eyes to more honestly assess any given premise without personal connections that can veil what is true and forthright. I believe the rush to canonize John XXIII and certainly John Paul II has cast the whole process under a shroud for any future canonizations. And the habit of late of canonizing so many past popes tells me it's more about politics than about sanctity. And to have done away with the Devil's Advocate makes any cause for sainthood suspicious to say the least.

Hawken said...

To those above in anonymity...

You may have misinterpreted Dr. Galipeau's point. Dr. Galipeau never stated that canonization was the incorrect or inappropriate outcome. He simply questioned the length of the process in this instance and welcomed comments, which, I might add, should always be constructive and polite in a forum such as this.

Anonymous said...

The anonymous comments are so telling--don't question the church, follow blindly, never doubt the "wisdom" of the Church! I'm no longer a Catholic because of the sex abuse scandal, the Church's cover up of it, and the Church's refusal to punish those who ruined the lives of children. John Paul II was the pope during this time and could have done quite a bit to stop it--or at least protect more children from being abused. These were not just mistakes, they were crimes. I don't believe the man is worthy of sainthood.