Friday, January 31, 2014

Rory Cooney's Revised Mass of Saint Aidan

Friday greetings from Chicago. We are expecting yet another winter storm here; a winter storm warning has just been posted by the National Weather Service.

Not sure what we are going to do with another ten inches of snow on top of what we have. Here is a photo I just took. This is the awning at our front door.

 
Take a closer look:



I am supposed to give two presentations tomorrow at the Archdiocese of Milwaukee's Liturgical Congress. So, I am heading up there this afternoon and have simply decided to spend the weekend there to avoid traveling in the snow.

Yesterday I mentioned Rory Cooney's revised Mass of Saint Aidan. We just received the recording in our mailboxes yesterday, so sound clips have not yet been posted to our web site. I have always enjoyed this setting, both singing it and playing it. I used to substitute quite a bit for Rory at his parish in Barrington, here in the Archdiocese of Chicago. I played that Mass quite often. It definitely has that Celtic flair. I just spent time in our music room here at WLP, playing through it and this revised setting is simple and singable. If you are looking for a new Mass setting, this would be a worthy addition to your parish's growing repertoire of settings.


So, folks, please say a prayer for travelers in these snowy times. Several Chicago folks are headed up to Milwaukee to do presentations as well, including Mike Novak from our own staff here, Steve Janco, Vicky Tufano, and Fr. Richard Fragomeni (All of these fine people have written or composed for WLP!). Looking forward to seeing them and spending time with the great folks to the north.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

1 comment:

Fortress2100 said...

I love this setting. I thought the refrain to the Alleuia would need to changed so that the entire refrain is "Alleluia" and not with the words, "...Christ be here...". I know Marty Haugen's Alleluia when revised, he changed the refrain to all "Alleluia". I thought the Gospel acclamation, like the Gloria, could not be altered.