Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Greetings from Saint George Parish in Baton Rouge

Tuesday greetings from Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

I arrived here on Saturday and presented a reflection at each of Saint George parish's five weekend Masses. This is a huge parish, with over 1200 children in the parish school. The parish is still growing, with plans for a new church building in the near future.

The parish mission began yesterday; two sessions per day. Here are a few photos I took as people began to gather in the church for last evening's session.



The mission is entitled "Baptized, Anointed, and Fed: Living the Catholic Sacramental Life." I have been impressed by the hospitality of the people here; I have so appreciated the warm welcome, as well as the warm weather (especially after having watched the weather back home in Chicago!)

I am preparing to head on over to the church for today's second session, which is focused on the Eucharist. I use three images to look at the Eucharist: table of sacrifice, table of nourishment, and table of reconciliation. People here seem to be responding well to the mission presentations.

I made a decision recently that this will be my last "on the road" parish mission for awhile. I felt that I needed to let something go in my schedule and this was what I felt was most reasonable. I do have a Lenten parish mission coming up at Saint Pascal's parish in Chicago and one next year in Chicago as well. These missions are as much for me as it is for those who gather; kind of gives me an opportunity to slow down and find new ways to discover the depth of the sacraments in my own life.

Tomorrow the mission comes to an end and then early on Thursday I drive over to Beaumont, Texas, for the Southwest Liturgical Conference. I have never been in this area of the country and I am looking forward to the drive along Interstate 10.

Please say a prayer for the people of this wonderful parish.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: