Monday, November 25, 2013

The Pope Welcomed Catechumens and California Welcomed Me with Trees and Flowers



Monday greetings to all. So sorry not to have posted in the past several days. My travels brought me to Northern California, for the Northern California Faith Formation Conference, held in Santa Clara.

While there, speaking about RCIA topics, Pope Francis was in Rome celebrating the Rite of Acceptance into the Order of Catechumens. My friend and colleague, Fr. Paul Turner, e-mailed me, letting me know that he had watched the celebration on EWTN. I was so pleased this morning to find the video of the rite, which you can find above. I am pretty sure that this is the first time since the catechumenate was reawakened by the Second Vatican Council that a pope has celebrated this rite in Rome. I know that Pope John Paul II celebrated the rite here in Chicago when he visited here in the late 1970's. The video is quite touching; please take the time to watch it.

Some other images from my trip out west. Here is the WLP booth at the conference:


And, flower-lover that I am, a photo I took just outside the convention center:





I did have the chance to visit the Muir Woods near San Francisco, home of a forest of California Redwood trees. It was beautiful, peaceful, and majestic; a haven that I needed.




Arrived late last night to a very, very cold city of Chicago. Glad to be back home and anxious to begin preparations for Thursday's feast.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: