Friday, November 15, 2013

Notre Dame Celebration Choir

Friday, November 15, today, marks the 14th anniversary of my employment here at World Library Publications, the music and liturgy division of the J.S. Paluch Company. I have now worked here twice as long as I have worked anywhere else. Seems that the time has simply flown by.

Tomorrow, I will be attending a concert by the University of Notre Dame Celebration Choir to be held at Saint Edward the Confessor parish here in Chicago, beginning at 7:30 P.M.


Should be a wonderful evening of music-making by these singers, instrumentalists, and handbell ringers. Here's a shot of the exterior of Saint Edward's. I will try to get some photos tomorrow night.





When I was in parish ministry, I so enjoyed conducting the parish handbell choirs. A few times, I was asked to substitute for a player who was sick or otherwise could not make it to Mass. And folks, these were some of the most hair raising musical moments of my life. You see, as a keyboard player, I am responsible for all the notes on the page of a particular music score. But, when one plays handbells, one is responsible for only a few notes on the score. And, when playing handbells, the score seems to run by rather quickly. I remember standing at the handbell table on at least one occasion and missing a critical note and getting so flustered that I lost my place and never quite recovered! A true musical embarrassment indeed. At any rate, I am looking foward to watching and listening to a top-notch handbell choir tomorrow night at Saint Edward's.

I hope your weekend is a good one.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray. (Gotta ring!)

No comments: