Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Come to the Manger

Wednesday morning greetings from the cold and windy Midwest.

I arrived back in Chicago at around midnight last night; first time in a long time that a plane was only about one-third full.

It's always a thrill for me to come back to WLP after a few days away; so much going on here these days. These pre-Advent days are especially busy for us.

I found several new octavos and a new collection in my mailbox when I arrived this morning. One in particular caught my attention and I want to share it with you. Kathleen Basi's Come to the Manger: Christmas Carols for Flute and Piano is a brand new resource. The name says it all. Included are arrangements for Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming; O Come, Little Children; I Saw Three Ships/Bring a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella; Sing We Now of Christmas; What Child Is This?; and Angels from the Realms of Glory/Angels We Have Heard on High.


I know that when I was a music director, I was always looking for collections just like this one. Musicians, this one is a must for your library. I just played through some of the pieces and they are delightfully different and wonderfully crafted.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: