Thursday, October 31, 2013

Chili and Saint Gerald

Greetings to all on the All Hallow's Eve.

We had a little party here at the office today, with a chili contest. Here is a shot of "Scary Jerry" in the middle of the judge's table. Not sure why the miter was placed on my head. The seven chili entries were just delicious and a good time was had by all.



Each year at this time, I recall with fondness the very first All Saints Day in my memory. I was in the first grade at Saint Charles School in Woburn, Massachusetts, pictured here:



We all had to dress up as our "name saint." I remember my Mom fretting about this somewhat. I believe she took a white bed sheet and dyed it brown. She then made a monk's habit out of the sheet and had me memorize the following, which I obviously remember to this day:

"Saint Gerald was a monk in Ireland. Many miracles are attributed to him. He lived to be a ripe old age."

I think my first grade sister, Sister James Cecilia, SND, must have thought it cute that a precocious first-grader could actually say "attributed." So, when the "parade" began into every classroom of all of us first-graders in our saints outfits, I was asked to give my little speech in every one of those classrooms. Gosh, I remember it as if it were yesterday.

Grateful today for my Mom and for all those who formed me in the Catholic faith. Tomorrow we celebrate them.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

1 comment:

Denise Anderson said...

You need a "like" button for your columns Jerry :) Thanks for sharing~ Great Mom and Sr. James! Blessings~