Monday, August 12, 2013

Sunday at the Cathedral

Monday greetings from Franklin Park and the "home office" of WLP.

Yesterday, as my days of parish "shopping" continue, I decided to attend Mass at Chicago's Holy Name Cathedral. It is a splendid place. Here's a shot I took after Mass:



 The celebrant, a priest who I would say is in his seventies, was a wonderful presider. He prayed the prayers of the Mass clearly and powerfully. He obviously prepares quiet extensively. But even with all of this preparation, I thought that perhaps he got a little mixed up when praying the Collect, but upon checking the text, found that he prayed it correctly. Here it is:

Almighty ever-living God,
whom, taught by the Holy Spirit,
we dare to call our Father,
bring, we pray, to perfection in our hearts
the spirit of adoption as your sons and daughters,
that we may merit to enter into the inheritance
which you have promised.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.

It was the placement of the word "whom" that through me for a loop. It sounded like our "almighty ever-living God" was the one who was "taught by the Holy Spirit." So odd that the "whom" comes before the "we," the ones to whom the whom refers. My mind was confused, so I really missed the rest of the prayer because I was trying to figure out what the first part meant. Sad.

The music was simple and quite beautiful. The parish bulletin (a J. S. Paluch bulletin, by the way) lists the music that is sung at Mass. I was so grateful that everything was laid out for me; the bulletin directed me to the Mass setting, which was found on a participation aid in the pews. The cantor was excellent. Participation was good, considering that many of the people in the congregation were obviously tourists visiting our great city.

The bulletin also described the great pipe organ: "The West Gallery Organ Flentrop Orgelbouw's 2th anniversary of installation will be celebrated in 2014. Installed in 1989, the organ was given to the Glory of God by Alice O'Malley Robinson in Loving Memory of Her Husband, William Dunwoody Robinson. It was first heard on her 100th birthday with Mrs. O'Malley present for the new sounds gracing the cathedral."

Here's a photo I took yesterday:


It was a wonderful liturgical experience all in all. With the cathedral nearly filled to capacity, I had a great sense of the Archdiocese of Chicago and its welcome and outreach to those who were there to celebrate Mass.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: