Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Coming Back to Life

It is a beautiful day here in the Midwest. While on vacation several weeks ago, I neglected to ask someone to water the flower boxes on my balcony. I fretted about that while I was away because I knew that the daytime temperatures in Chicago that week were in the 90's. When I returned, I discovered I had lost quite a bit, but also saw that there was still hope for some of the plants and flowers. I began immediately to do what I could to save what remained. I had someone taking care of them while I was at NPM last week and I have been watching and tending them carefully since I have returned. Here are the results:




I was thinking a lot about this re-invigoration on my balcony as I sat out there last night, enjoying the evening breeze. Sometimes my own spiritual life has mirrored what happened in the last several weeks on that balcony. I am currently on an indefinite hiatus from the parish where I have worshiped for the past ten years. There are a number of reasons for this, which I am not ready yet to share. But it has been a deeply sad time for me; I must admit feeling like what those flowers looked like several weeks ago. I have been parish "shopping" for some time now and will continue to do so until a clear direction emerges for me. But I do feel like I am coming back to life as I slowly let go of the past and look to the future of my local Catholic life with hope. Not sure yet where I will be "planted," but I am approaching this search with wide eyes, alert ears, and an open heart. Please pray for all who search for a spiritual home.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

4 comments:

Being Catholic ... Really said...

Come visit St. Thérèse Chinese Catholic Church at 218 W. Alexander. We are not far from St. James. My husband, friend and I sing at the 5 PM Mass. After "parish shopping" for many years, we have been singing there for 2 years. They have been so welcoming to us.

Jane Schindler said...

Well, I am going out on a limb and saying....Move to Albuquerque!! We need you here.

Jerry Galipeau, D. Min. said...

Thanks "Being Catholic . . . Really" and Jane. I appreciate the outreach. I have my eye on Albuquerque as a possible place to retire, but not for many more years!
Jerry

Anonymous said...

Jerry, I think the pain that comes from leaving our spiritual home is so deep and raw. As you continue to search and to navigate the days of August - be assured you are held in prayer.