Monday, June 17, 2013

Monday Greetings and a New Twist to This Catholic's Worship Life

Monday greetings from here at the home office in Franklin Park.

Yesterday, I attended Sunday Mass at Notre Dame de Chicago, a parish close to my home. I am currently on a hiatus from my beloved Saint James for a number of reasons. I will be celebrating Mass at different parishes near my home over the next several months and will share my experiences with you.

Here is a shot of the exterior of Notre Dame de Chicago:


And a view of the interior:



It certainly feels quite different worshipping in a church, rather than an old Catholic School auditorium (as has been the case at Saint Sames for over four years). Yesterday was a warm day here in the city of Chicago and Notre Dame is one of those places that heats up pretty intensely. So the "archdiocesan fans" were blowing full strength. Very difficult to hear with all the whirring. The music was a real throwback for me; mostly older Saint Louis Jesuits and David Haas pieces. It was also the first time I was asked to sing the revised Mass of Creation Mass parts. All in all, I felt like this was a welcoming community. Not sure if the constant whirring of the fans is really worth it in the long run.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: