Tuesday, May 14, 2013

May, Moms, and Mary


Greetings on this Feast of Saint Matthias (and my own feast of sorts as well!)

I decided late Friday to spend a few days in Boston with my family over the weekend.

I went to Mass on Sunday with my parents. The Archdiocese of Boston is one of few provinces in the United States where the Solemnity of the Ascension is not transferred to the Seventh Sunday of Easter. So on Sunday I got to hear the readings for the Seventh Sunday of Easter, which I have not heard in many years.



Something struck me about the music at Mass at this particular parish. We sang "Gentle Woman" at the Preparation of the Gifts and the cantor sang an "Ave Maria" as a solo after communion. I sat there, trying to make a connection between these songs and the readings and prayers that we had heard and prayed during Mass. Then I had one of those "duh" moments. The Marian music was obviously chosen because it was the month of May? Or perhaps because it was Mother's Day?



Anyway, I just wanted to throw this out there: do you sing Marian hymns at Sunday Massduring May? Do you sing Marian hymns on Mother's Day?

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We don't, but this was kind of a "duh" moment for me too....maybe we should.

Anne Sinclair said...

We do. I usually announce the hymn with something like, "Our closing song today honors our Blessed Mother." Hopefully, it gives the clue as to why we are singing it.

Anonymous said...

Yes, we sing Marian Hymns during the month of May. We usually sing them as a prelude as a presentation hymn. Gathering and Sending are Marian hymns on Mother's Day (with the exception being this year) since we celebrated the Ascension.