Friday, May 31, 2013

Expanding Our Hearts in Joy

Friday greetings from Texas.

At this morning's reflection session for those gathered for this leadership conference, I quoted His Holiness, the 14th Dalai Lama:

“Every day, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others; to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings. I am going to have kind thoughts towards others, I am not going to get angry or think badly about others. I am going to benefit others as much as I can."
Such inspiring words. When I returned to my hotel room after the morning's reflection, I found the homily Pope Francis preached this morning at Mass. Here is an excerpt:
"It’s the Spirit that guides us: He is the author of joy, the Creator of joy. And this joy in the Holy Spirit gives us true Christian freedom. Without joy, we Christians cannot become free, we become slaves to our sorrows. The great Paul VI said that you cannot advance the Gospel with sad, hopeless, discouraged Christians. You cannot. A certain mournful behavior, no? Often Christians behave as if they were going to a funeral procession rather than to praise God, no? And this joy comes from praise, Mary’s praise, this praise that Zephaniah speaks of, Simeon and Anna’s praise: this praise of God!"

Two powerful and inspiring men to start my day off. Hope yours is a good one, benefiting others as much as you can and with great joy!

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: