Monday, April 1, 2013

The Easter Octave and the Paschal Mystery

Easter Monday greetings to all.

This certainly was a different experience of the Triduum for me. On Saturday morning, I flew to Columbus, Ohio, to attend a wake for my friend, Mary. Grieving with this family, whom I have known since the mid-90s, was something I just knew I needed to do. And I was so glad that I went. My grieving process for my friend would not have been the same had I not gone.

The paschal mystery was staring us all in the face as we gathered around Mary's body and shared stories about her life and the ways her life intersected with the lives of so many people. I often tell young people that Church is important in our lives because it helps us live through these moments, live through them with the hope that can only come through our faith in Jesus Christ. His death and resurrection is something that continues every day for us, giving us small glimpses of the life that is to come.

Even though I was not able to engage in the Triduum as is my annual custom, I felt that I reached back into all those Triduums and gained strength and hope.



This morning, I flew here to Houston, Texas. I will be speaking at the annual convention of the National Catholic Education Association. It is warm and humid here; quite a change from Chicago.

I hope that this Octave of Easter is a blessed one for you.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: