Monday, April 8, 2013

Connectivity

Monday greetings from Chicago.

On Friday morning, I arrived in Wichita, Kansas, for a two day "RCIA Kansas 2013" event. It was held at the Diocese of Wichita's Spiritual Life Center.





There was a nice crowd of about 100 people who minister in Christian initiation in the dioceses of Wichita, Dodge City, and Salina. I gave a presentation on Apprenticeship on Friday night, then we celebrated an adapted rite of acceptance on Saturday morning, followed by a reflection on the celebration. Then I gave a presentation on music and the RCIA; then it was time to head to the airport. I had a wonderful time and I hope that it was a helpful two days for the folks in Kansas.

I did want to mention something that happened when I first arrived. A woman I did not know came up to me and expressed her condolences to me at the recent loss of my friend, Mary. And then she expressed her own concern about the issues dividing my parish of Saint James around the impending demolition of the building. She said she had prayed for us and wanted to offer me more of her prayerful support.

Later, when I recalled this conversation, it struck me how much blogs and things like Facebook do to keep people connected. Some scoff at the "virtual" nature of these kinds of relationships. I sometimes forget that there are real live people reading these words across the country and across the world. That woman in Kansas showed me that these virtual connections really do bring us together, even if only over fiberoptic networks.

So, to that dear lady in Kansas, and to all of you, thanks for staying connected to me through Gotta Sing Gotta Pray.

And a very blessed Easter Season to you all.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

1 comment:

Rosie Rundell said...

Thank you SO much for the workshop in Kansas! From the "lady in Kansas."